A great way to inspire creative movement and begin group choreography.
- Have students work in pairs (make a group of three if there are an uneven number of students)
- Instruct students to create a 4-part handshake with their partners
- Students will choose four movements in which they make contact with their partner (high five, shake hands, touch elbows, etc)
- Have students practice performing their handshake to the beat of a song, repeating it several times
- Now ask students to make each of the four parts of their handshake into a larger, dancier movement
- Have students practice their handshake dance to the beat, but at a slower pace to allow for the new, larger movements
- Take it a step further by combining pairs into groups of 4-6, and have students re-work their movements to fit the larger group